Nostr is inspiring makers all over the world but so far there appears to be no decent nostr “social” client for the browser and none at all for Android.
Awesome-nostr lists 19 clients but upon closer inspection those are only 5 or 6 nostr “social” implementations:
- Branle - the original browser-based client developed by fiatjaf
- Astral - a Branle fork with massive changes by monlovesmango
- Damus - a client for iOS and MacOS by jb55
- more-speech - a desktop client by unclebob
- futr - a desktop client by prolic
- minds.com - a centralized social network with an appetite for nostr
Of the above, only the first two are browser-based and buggy and slow to the point of being mostly unusable on the PC (wait 5 minutes to send a message) and completely unusable on mobile.
This is why I looked into frameworks and tools to create a modern and fast cross platform client. The most promising was “Svelte”.
So far, nostroid is not really a nostr client but you can already:
- Create and delete accounts
- Change the name and avatar
- See all events authored by and sent to the account
A recent tech demo shows how all the events of 13 accounts - a total of 11500 events - can be loaded in seconds the first time the app is loaded, after which the app would load and work faster than Twitter for example.